Tuesday, September 7, 2010

♫♪ The Rose ♫♪

Today, i went for my minor 1st class . I supposed to have it around 330pm but the teacher forget about me.
So my class have to postponed to 5pm@@
Today is my 1st minor class....Mr. Ian give me a song name 'THE ROSE'.
He ask me to listen this song and learn it up and sing this song during this coming monday lesson@@
So, i went to do a research about this song@@

Here is the story which wrote by Amanda McBroom:
I was driving down the freeway one afternoon, some time in 1977-something. I was listening to the radio. A song came on. It was ''Magadalena'' by Danny O'Keefe, sung by Leo Sayer. I liked it immediately. My favourite line was ''Your love is like a razor. My heart is just a scar.'' I thought, ''Ooh, I love that lyric.''

As i continued to drive the thought came, i don't agree with the sentiment. I don't think love is like a razor. 
(I was younger then.)What, then, do I think love is? Suddenly, it was as if someone had opened a window in the top of my head. Words came puring in. I had to keep reciting them to myself as i drove faster and faster towards home, so I wouldn't forget them. I screeched into my drive way, ran into the house, past various bewiledered dogs and cats and husband, and sat down at the piano. Ten minutes later, The Rose was there.

I called my husband, George, into the room and played it for him, as i always did with new songs. He listened, and quietly said to me, ''You've just written a standard.'' I protested that no one but my pals would ever hear it. (This is long before I had ever recorded anything.) He said, '' Mark my words, something is going to happen with this song.''

A year or so later, a professional song - writer friend of mine said,'' Listen. There is this movie coming out called ''The Rose''. They are looking for a title tune. Do you want me to submit this to them?'' I had never really tried to submit this song to anyone.  I didn't consider myself a song writer at the time. So I said, ''Sure''.

She submitted the tune to the producers, who hated it. They though it was dull and a hymm and not rock and roll and totally wrong. They put it in the reject box. But the divine Paul Rothchild, who was the music supervisor on the film, and had been  Janis Joplin's producer, hauled it out and asked them to reconsider. They again said no. So he mailed it to Bette Middler. She liked it, and that's how it got into the film and changed my life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top